Thursday, January 19, 2006


Coach Carter…My Views & Reviews

Keyed here r my thoughts after seeing a particular movie…Suffering from a short attention span & hyperactive imagination…don’t be surprised to see my views jumping all over the globe…But I guess who ever is reading this is either used to that by now or would get used to it….for the rest of them I really don’t care!

I went into Planet M to pick up some koooooool sufi music & me being a ‘shop-o-holic’ was soon drawn to the dvd & vcd section, wherein I chanced upon a movie called ‘Coach Carter’….& then like lightening it struck me….that a very dear though weird friend of mine[like most of my friends] had asked me to watch it at least 3 times…so how could I not pick it up[enough reason to splurge].

…All curled up in bed that night, with enough of goodies to nibble on, I switched on my television to watch this much acclaimed movie….& to be sure it was worth every penny & much more.

An awesome movie about overcoming fears, realizing dreams & more importantly love & respect for one’s self. It is a movie about coming to terms with one’s self….& yes, it is also a movie about team work & team spirit…but that is something secondary for me, b’coz when u r honest with ur self & when u learn to respect ur self…the same is automatically passed on to others…& teams thus formed are naturally invincible. So team spirit is just an additional perk of knowing ones self & doing what u believe in whole heartedly.

Two scenes in the movie really moved me:
(i) when the lock out is voted out by the school board & yet the students continue the lock out at a personal level & when one student stands up & tells Coach Carter that what he fears most is not failure but the power & light within himself….that scene ripped me apart...it was simply Brilliant !
(ii) the last scene in the movie when the team loses the state championship & are in the locker room…The sheer joy & pride the team takes in belonging to Richmond & the exuberance on their faces when they shout the name over & over & over again…is something we don’t see these days. Infact it is something I haven’t seen in a long, long time.

The pride that we have for our home town & country is long gone….

…I enjoy working with students more than with ppl in the corporate sector, primarily b’coz I have never really grown up[infact I have regressed…I should give some of the credit here to my friends]…but the point here is every second student that I talk to wants to go abroad for his higher studies…OR wants a job in an MNC so that he can go abroad for his training OR wants to go abroad on deputation OR go abroad in search of better opportunities …Basically everyone is trying to run away from home or from themselves or run away from something or the other. What they don’t realize is …if u r brilliant, u will shine Anywhere…u don’t have to go outside for fame & recognition, it will come automatically to u.

Most people forget that when they go abroad, they have to work doubly hard to sustain & prove themselves at every level…b’coz their families r not their to provide for them, the luxuries of home r no longer available, ur closet friends are leagues away…So who do u think these people would call in the middle of the night when they have a problem or when they need to hang out with someone….Any Guesses…..Strangers from their home land & in some strange way they are no longer strangers…they become extended family…Isn’t it?

…Let me rephrase that…What is the first thing most Indians do when they go abroad…Find other Indians who are already there…befriend them…Y?...B’coz it gives them a sense of security….Finding ‘Home Away from home’ !

We slog day & night in another land, away from home & pay higher taxes…but we don’t mind…Y?....is it b’coz we get the tag of ‘foreign returned’ when we get back home & that makes it worth the while. Then, aren’t we at some level working out of fear & insecurity … & is it a Healthy way? … I really don’t know.

…Just imagine if we had to work just as hard back home…we would undoubtedly be one of the wealthiest people in the country, would be more powerful & influential, plus we would be paying far lesser taxes & would be pampered & spoilt thoroughly by our family & friends [what more can one ask for...I wonder]. In addition, we would be able to travel around the world for our holidays every few months….but sadly, most people abroad come home for their holidays for just a month or so & go back to slogging the rest of the year in another’s land. [Who comes home on a holiday?……I always thought u go outside on a holiday....well as usual I guess I am wrong].

Y aren’t we at peace with what we have at home? What is it that we are searching for….when everything we ever wanted is right in front of us at home….Maybe, it’s the circle of life to wander around and then come back home finally…….But, my worry is, What if it is too late? Or worse still…have we gone to the ‘Point Of No Return’!

The Movie Coach Carter…talks about returning to ones self…it talks about being proud of who u r & reaching for the stars ….Though u may not reach the stars u will still get the taste of being high ..up above the world…. This is where I beg to differ…. “I no longer want to reach for the stars…I want the stars to reach down to Me!”

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nooorie Noooorie Nooorie

LOved the post and loved your ending that the stars shoudl reach down to you.. ia m gonna steal that line from you..

pls do watch the movie thrree times though, there is a reason you were told 3 times.

Much love
from one clueless wanderer to another

Wiseldress said...

Ur words mean a lot to me...Many Thnx.
Looking forward to reading a lot more of ur stuff...
...both on the political as well as the spiritual front.
- Peace in Abundance...Saba Khadri -

Shilpa Jacobie said...

Noopi,

Love your blog. Bright just like your personality. You can cheer anybody up anywhere anyhow. About your post, I must say for someone who is far away from home, i came here not to make a better life for myself, infact life is tougher than it has ever been. I know in my heart that I want to return home to stay. I have never liked being away from home,no matter how much it may have changed or will continue to change. But this decision is not entirely upto me. Someday though i hope to return and not for a holiday, but to just come home.

Anonymous said...

Noorie

Returning home!!! How powerful that can be, you know my thoughts and feelings on it..and my blog with the same title says it all... however I have soemthing to add here..

What and where is home?? Is ti the place we are born or have a citizenship in?? I think its more about where is your heart and where your ehart comes alive the most and helps others become suns into themselves.. to me coming home is not about a place on land but more about a place inside ourselves...

Lastly, frequently you never know your physical home really well or what treausres you have there until you leave it and move far away...away even from its shadows, and begin the journey to BECOME somethin anew..this is where the Universe starts its amazing drama and game with you... you first unbecome that which you are, and create yourself in a new image, and soon you find that this new image only is a pointer.. a pointer that leads you BACK HOME..

How do i know this?? I think Noorie you know the answer to this one

much love and abundance to you as well.. may that bliss seek you ...

a wanderer seeking the way Back Home :)

Wiseldress said...

Thnx Shil & Mahi...See u guys know more about coming home than me...I am just a clueless wandrer.

Mahi u say that home is where ur heart is & where it comes alive...to u i ask what do u do when ur heart is constantly alive at every place, at all times...for me home is the universe...it could be just four walls or the the whole world or quiet simply eternity!

Shil...the decision is always yours...& u know that !

Luv Always...Noor :)

Latha said...

home is everywhere.
-latha

Wiseldress said...

Here Here...Well Said !

Anonymous said...

>>Mahi u say that home is where ur heart is & where it comes alive...to u i ask what do u do when ur heart is constantly alive at every place, at all times...for me home is the universe...it could be just four walls or the the whole world or quiet simply eternity!<<

Noorie- if you are that lucky that your heart is constantly alive then you are blissful. What I have found is evolution and enllightenment is an ever unfolding process.. an neverending upward quest if you will... and each journey has a starting point, a place where one is most in sync with the universe if you will, this for me serves as the best starting point, the point where one really comes alive...

But then again I would not know much .. am wandering myself, this is the map I am follwoing and seem to find some solace at present, god knows what the future holds :)

much love

Wiseldress said...

Point Made....i rest my case...Fabulously written...Hats Off to u.
BTW...Even bliss is not a constant state...it is transitory & i most definitetly havent reached it.

Anonymous said...

ok .. one thing .. about the comment .. ..it kinda proves an age long theory .. that .. the heart is definitly more powerfull than the mind ... i liked ur comment noorie .. but as u said ,, sometimes ..we need to realise how stupid we are in order acknowledge it .. so being stupid is not optional .. it mandatory...heheh . i see it this way..u will nevetr know the light .. till u been in the dark .. life is as i see a mixture of light and dark .. all just shadows ... sometimes light sometime thick ... powerfull as it might seem and ironicall .. dark and light both can blind u so .. i guess we keep jumping from light to dark .. or dark to light .. to find our optimal shadows... as i said .. we are mere shadows .. of our true self ..

peace
akhil

Wiseldress said...

Akhil....U can never be a shadow of ur true self...infact there are no shadows.
Plsss tell me what on earth is an 'Optimal Shadow'?
Btw...i want to see ur poems...its been a long time...Plsss mail Maadi.
Take Care...Noor :)

Anonymous said...

an optimal shadow is the kind of shadow that ppl a comfy with .. like some ppl like standin under a tre shadow .. where there is like lil bit of sun .. or some want like a complete shadow .. som prefer .. lke u know ... somewhere in between ... varyin levels of shadows ...umbra amd penumbra ... scientifically speakin..yes i shall mail u my poems today!

Wiseldress said...

Way to go Kiddooo !

Anonymous said...

how many times have you seen the movie yet? I am hoping the answer is atleast 3 :)

Wiseldress said...

Arreee yaar...when have i not done my home work...u said 3..but i watched it 7 and a half times...i take my work & word pretty seriously !

Anonymous said...

7 and a half...wow impressive ms saba...had to bother you a lil, it been a while since I did that so figured this would be one way :)

Wiseldress said...

Ohhhhhhh....Thank You Mr. Mayur !
So what u been up too...what secret agendas on the cards, what surprises have u in store & what grandiose missions r u on to now?

Anonymous said...

Grandise plans I have none
things to get done in life I have some

Bringing together the body and mind
Freedom I seek to find

Secrets and agendas I am fighting
Most of the times my toughe i am biting

Letting the play of the universe be
sitting back cards dealt i seek to see

there you go saba ;)

Wiseldress said...

Well well well… “A Budding Artist, Is A Blooming Idiot” it is said….But u my friend have put the author of that quote to shame.
What a way with words you have & what a poet you are turning out to be … I am mighty thrilled :)

All questions answered & many insights gained…Thank U !

God Bless & Lots of Luv,
Saba

Shilpa Jacobie said...

It has been a few months since I last posted my comment on this entry, and although i hate to admit it...i am beginning to agree with lathu...home is everywhere :)