Thursday, March 23, 2006

Resurfacing Material …R there hidden messages?

It is surprising how things we had once forgotten about reappear just when u need them most … just like this article called ‘So Many Good Byes Before the Eternal Hello’ by Jenina Gomes. Apart from this article, were other things that decided to make their appearance & presence felt at this point in my life like video recordings & cd’s by forgotten heroes, my most treasured books that are no longer in print or circulation today and most importantly poems & articles by close friends.

I spent the last two weeks, far away from the world of technology[that’s my cell & electronic note book…which looking back was one of my greatest achievements till date] & the madly evolving society --- saying long due goodbyes to certain people, places & parts of me, which were not letting me move forward - for fear of what might lie around the bend, for fear of letting go of things that were once comfort zones, for fear of moving away from familiar & secure settings…This article among other things gave me the much needed nudge to take the plunge, saying final Good Byes Before Eternal Hello’s !

In due course of time I will share the other things that matter most to me …but for now… here are excerpts from the article by Jenina Gomes …


So Many Good Byes before the Eternal Hello

Like a flock of homesick cranes flying back to their mountain nests, we are all pilgrims on life’s journey. We keep journeying, never arriving. There is always a further bend along the road to negotiate or another road to travel.

All along our journey we have to keep letting go: of places, people, and events. Some doors close others open. Every transition in life is the closing of one door and the opening of another.

Few of us are prepared for life’s transitions. We cling to what seems an irrevocable part of us. Yet, in every day life, there is a continuous stripping. We are that much the poorer for fighting the process. Part of us is comfortable with the journey, but another part resists the inevitable.

Sometimes relationships are the hardest to let go of, though they may have little basis at the core of our being. When they do, as the little Prince – who comes to earth from an asteroid in Saint-Exupery’s novel – discovers in his encounter with the fox, “only with the heart one can see rightly, what is essentially invisible to the eye”. When the little Prince said: “Come and play with me. I am so unhappy”, the fox replied: “I cannot play with you I am not tamed”. When a beautiful friendship develops between the fox & the little prince and the fox is now tamed, the fox reminds the prince, “Men have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it. You become responsible for whatever you have tamed”.

That is the eternal miracle of life: the eternal in the hello. It does not die. We have so many goodbyes, sometimes to untamed parts of ourselves as well as others, before we are ready to be responsible forever for what we tame.

Different symbols speak to different people. For Joyce Rupp the sound of the geese going south in the winter spoke to a part of her that knew that transitions and change are necessary and that leaving secure situations is an essential part of growth. They also reminded her of the blessings that change and transitions have meant for her growth and all the special people who walked through her heart before she moved on.

Life is full of transitions. Learn to grow through them. Spiritual maturity comes when we learn to say our goodbyes fully so that we can say our own “Eternal Hellos”.

15 comments:

Dr. Sanjana Mehta aka Maya said...

Noor,

Thank you so very much for posting this article and your views on the blog. You have made me aware of this at a time when I continue to suffer from existential angst.

I took a holiday to relax my mind and introspect, but I have come back with more unaswered questions than before and your article helps answer some of them.

I left Cambridge with a lot of history, emotional baggage and doubts - physical distance from all that didn't really facilitate moving on. But as the article says, "Life is full of transitions. Learn to grow through them. Spiritual maturity comes when we learn to say our goodbyes fully so that we can say our own “Eternal Hellos”.

I am not expecting any miracles, i.e., it's not like I am going to wake up tomorrow morning having achieved nirvana, but now I know that there is hope...

Thank you for giving me this hope.

Lots of love

Sanjana

Anonymous said...

This is an interesting co-incidence, I have been feeling/thinking similar things in the past few months, and earlier today was able to express them in some words on my blog in form of a poem

I liek the metaphor of saying goodbyes fully, this is indeed a beautiful image. The one that kept coming to my mind was almost a Havan/sacred fire, and the whole process thus becase the fire of initiation, of moving from one stage to another, or rather transmuting from one form to another.

nice post Saba, good to read another way of seeing the same thing,

cheers

M

Anonymous said...

can one ever really say goodbye to anyone? this is my question to you oh poet

I read all your posts, and this thought keeps popping in mind

can one ever really say goodbye?

if there is one ONE, and it is to the ONE we return, then where is the question of goodbyes and where are the hellos.

think about it!!

Anonymous said...

hey Sanju

I read what you wrote and it made me think a little esp the paragraph you wrote below

"I am not expecting any miracles, i.e., it's not like I am going to wake up tomorrow morning having achieved nirvana, but now I know that there is hope..."

SO this made me think a little and perhaps pose two questions to you, both out of my curosity and perhaps explore something together. the questions are

1. What do you deside to happen in life?
2. What do you expect to happen in life?

Humor me and play this lil game with me, perhaps we both will learn something.

Respectfully

M

Dr. Sanjana Mehta aka Maya said...

Hey M,

What do I desire from life?

I desire the ability to move on, to feel free......

What do I expect to happen?

I am an eternal pessimist, so I am not expecting much
(or anything at all).

You said we both could learn something from this, I don't know maybe you are more experienced than me-do you have any trade secrets to share?

Sanju

Dr. Sanjana Mehta aka Maya said...

M,

I like the question you posed to Saba, 'can one ever really say goodbye?' and I think the answer is 'No', but that's not good news (at least for me).

Maya

Anonymous said...

sanju,
I have seen this as a classic pattern, that there exists a disconnect between what people desire and what people expect to happen
This is in my opinion the basis of a lot of heartfelt pain and just despair,
so the next step now is to ask you
what is it that you can desire and expect to happen?

M

PS - we are already into the secret, just play the game fully and you will see :)

Wiseldress said...

Sanju, Mahi….u guys are the sweetest !

Sanju….i did not give u Hope…it is u who saw hope in that article, so I really have done nothing. Besides, miracles happen everyday, u just have to be a l’ll more observant !

Mahi…it’s absolutely fantastic when u speak about the Havan - fire of initiation, of moving from one stage to another…I really really like that concept. Also if you have been thinking about it so much I think u shud do a Havan…it will bring u a lot of peace, give u clarity & a lots of ur questions wud be answered.

As far as saying goodbyes & hello’s are concerned, u know the answer better than me….do u really want me to answer that Mahi?

Both of u Mahi & Sanju….u just have to read this book called ‘Where Are You Going’, not sure if u have read it already… it is superb….i loved it. Unfortunately the book might not be v easily available…but I will try and get it for both of u, if u don’t already own it….I must give the credit here to Latha, for introducing me to the book….it's one of a kind…a must have !

Luv Always

Saba

Anonymous said...

Saba,
Acutally I would like you to answer the question, perhaps it will help me see through something myself

also who is the author of the book where are you going.

thanks

M

Dr. Sanjana Mehta aka Maya said...

Hi M,

Pardon my ignorance, but I don't seem to be getting THE message!

In answer to your second question I have to say: I can't desire anything and I can't expect anything to happen. Now there is no disconnect: great, but it still doesn't reduce the frustration.

Are we still playing this game? Are you learning anything from it? Is there yet another secret?

Sanjana

Anonymous said...

Yes the game is still on, see what I have learnt from this one man who I consider a very interesting teacher is that miracles are basically the collapse of desire and expectation.

You need to adjust the two, calibrate them till they are a singularity, and this is where magic unfolds...

play the game, relish the paradox until you see them as a continium rather than opposing forces.

so back to you, ask yourself the same questions again and see what is the meeting point between these two.

M

Dr. Sanjana Mehta aka Maya said...

Ok. Thank you.

Sanjana

Anonymous said...

so am curious, what have you found to be true when you continue this lil experiment?

M

Dr. Sanjana Mehta aka Maya said...

Actually, I haven't had much time to play games. I have been too busy trying to find work. As I mentioned a while ago, sometimes these deliberations are a matter of luxury....

Sanjana

Anonymous said...

Sanju, Fair enough! If you evr wish to continue on this process/game, the results could be surprising. Well when you do want to cntinue, you know how to reach me,

Cheers

M